[Oberon] WinAos networking: patch available

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Fri Nov 18 16:40:59 CET 2005

Hi everybody,

in the Windows Oberon versions the Winsock built-in asynchroneous
networking was used because the single threaded system would have been
blocked by waiting for connections or new data to arrive. In the first
versions of WinAos, this has been maintained. In the recent version of
WinAos, we switched to synchroneous networking, because asynchroneous
tasks can easily be provided with active objects. Furthermore,
synchroneous networking proved to be much more reliable and faster, at
least in the ways that I have implemented/adapted them for WinAos.
Still, in the recent version of WinAos a trick was used to  provide the
Available() procedure.

Fortunately, Edgar Schwarz gave me some useful hints concerning
ioctlsocket  (etc.) and we could therefore get rid of the circumstantial
way of using buffers for sending and receiving while Windows has its own
network buffers. I think that networking under WinAos is faster and more
reliable now.

I will provide a new version of WinAos some time later but for those on
the edge: You can download the two needed modules Win32.WSock32.Mod and
Win32.AosTCP.Mod from the webpage http://bluebottle.ethz.ch/WinAos (or
equivalently http://www.winaos.de )

All the best,
Felix.