[Oberon] Booting Bluebottle on Celeron D 326

Roger Keller kellerog at student.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 27 16:16:18 CET 2005

> There is a problem early after "Bluebottle loading":
> I am able to change settings in the BBL0: mode if I need.
> I used TraceMode=1 over a serial cable, to locate the problem.
> Now I see, over the serial connection:
> "Aos 19.12.05",
> then booting fails, the machines goes on to reboot again from
> zero. Same with
> TraceMode=4.
> On other machines, I see "Processor ..." etc. now.
> >From the Output on the serial line, it appears that the problem is in
> AosBoot.Mod, maybe in recognizing the processor ?

since bb could write out the version and date, at least AosOut must have
been initialized and therefore AosBoot and AosLocks are also initialized
already. so the next few modules to initialize would be AosMemory, AosHeap,
AosInterrupts, AosModules, AosActive and AosProcessors ... AosProcessors
usually does the search and setup for mp, but since the trace output is not
appearing, the fault could be in any of the above modules. the reboot
usually indicates, that a double fault was generated;
you could enable tracing in these modules, however, this usually requires
you to link the kernel again. there is, however, the possibility to trace
some modules via config strings.

> I also tried the setting "MaxProcs=1" with no success.
> I have also tried to eliminate Boot actions from "Boot5" back
> to "Boot1" back to
> "Boot", and have tried to boot without accessing the video
> driver by setting
> "Init=" and TraceMode=4 with no avail- the problem appears to
> occur earlier on
> in the boot process.
> It does not appear to be a problem of the display driver as
> far as I see. A try
> to circumvent the problem by booting from USB did not succeed either.

the boot commands are executed when (i guess) AosConsole is initialized, so
that is "shortly" before the system is ready and the gui is present ...

> Where might the problem be ?
> Do others report successful operation of the Celeron D 326 processor ?
>
> (BTW: -adding the file AosSetup.Text to the WM Menu might be
> helpful for others)
> (BTW2: there is an inconsistency in the syntax of TraceMem= between
> AosSetup.Text: TraceMem=0B8000H,80,25 and
> Boot CD: TraceMem=0B8000H,2,80,25 : bug or feature ?)

as much as i could see so far, both versions are legal; i guess one of them
is newer but the other one is still possible for backwards compatibility
(see AosOut.Init)

cheers,
roger