[Oberon] Username which contains the "@" char ...

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 18:19:02 CET 2006

--- shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Greetings for the New Year.
>
> Monday 08 August 2005 you mentioned,
> " ... Username which contains the "@" char
> I've torn my guts out patching n-o ..."
>
> pe.RFC2396.Mod is now available.
> HyperDocTools.Fetch
> "http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/pe.RFC2396.Mod" =>
> pe.RFC2396.Mod ~

Hey Peter.  I've been down this road before.
The problem is (as I understand it) that the
PPP RFC has no provision for escaping charecters.
So while this approach is fine for RFC 2396 (the
univeral resource identifier) it doesn't help
for RFC 1661 (the PPP RFC).

At this point I think the best thing is for
the PPP code to have an option to set its
username and password independent of the
NetSystem module.

Or, perhaps NetSystem could be changed to
"unescape" special charecters once the
username and password tokens are parsed.

Personal note, I still think it's goofy
to have @ in a username.  Yes, I've seen
ISPs do it now.  That doesn't make it
any less goofy.  But hey, what do I know?

Regards,

John M. Drake