AW: [Oberon] Successful USB boot

Aubrey McIntosh Aubrey.McIntosh at ridgewater.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:27:27 CET 2006

-- Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

>>> staubesv at student.ethz.ch 1/29/2006 8:10:49 AM >>>
Hi,

>The Jan 24th Crazy Fresh release boots from a 1GB Toshiba flash memory stick.
>The release does allow re-creation of the boot file AosUsb.Bin.
Cool!

>There are a few issues, but they may be due to my odd Configuration strings.
What issues? The only configuration string you need extra for USB booting is "BootFromUsb=1" which forces the USB storage driver to block until a USB storage device has been found and put into the AosDisks.registry.
Did it work with all host controller drivers linked into the kernel (AosUsbUhci, AosUsbOhci & AosUsbEhci), or have you only linked one if them into the kernel?

Cheers,
Sven Stauber

_

Oh, the issues are bigger than I thought.  I'm only seeing the "Oberon Loading" message.  I had thought this was just a matter of something hanging when the configuration strings were being executed.  However, I was able to spend some time on it yesterday.  I don't get the configuration edit screen, so it doesn't get very far.  A trace shows that I'm not connected with the file system when I try a couple of more restricted kernels (such as no Ohci, but using Uhci).  I will look at it some more next weekend.