[Oberon] Partitioning under BB

Stauber Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 9 14:17:59 CET 2006

Hi,

There are two methods for partitioning devices under BB:
- Use the disk operation framework (GUI: Partition Tool, TUI: AosPartitions.Mod)
- Use Partitions.Mod under Oberon (see Partitions.Tool for a command list)

If you don't succeed using the disk operation framework, try Partitions.Tool under Oberon.

Note: If a device is open (open count > 0), the partition table is cached in memory and will not be reloaded from disk even when changed (since the partition numbering could potentially change which would cause serious errors when an application that has a reference to the partition table would use the old partition number as index into the new table). So if you want to create a partition on a disk, no other partitions may be mounted.

>It flickers, refreshes the display to be exactly as above, logs 'Finished' with no size info and Flags = 1
The situation you describe seems to match this scenario. Solution: The change was written to disk if the tool didn't report an error, but you have to reboot to see it.
BTW: To get a more detailed operation report, select the plugin "Operation", select the operation you want to see details of in the list of operations and press the button "Report".

>'les invalides' in the French sense (cripples?) seems accurate for *several somethings* here.... ;-)
If I find some time, I'll implement a little window for the Partition Tool which tells you to reboot to make changes visible, since the current solution (do change the partition table but be not aware of it) is obviously confusing/unacceptable.

BTW: The change log shows that I've fixed DeletePartition/CreatePartition in the release 24.01.2006. If you are using an older release, use Partitions.Mod under Oberon.

Cheers,
Sven Stauber