[Oberon] packaging a document

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Sun Mar 5 22:51:13 CET 2006

The idea of packaging HTML and XML documents as
zip archives works.  Here are a few observations,
which might interest others, and snags which
I need to understand.

For a test I began with APSC459.4.doc containing
702464 bytes.  openoffice was able to save this
as an html file and 19 image files.  Linux zip
compressed these into ApSc459Q320.zip of 438671
bytes.  A nice economy in the size of the document.

Mozilla Firefox might be able to open the zip
document but I did not succeed.  Aos appears to
be ahead of Linux here.

The image files have names such APSC459.4_html_11d9e739.jpg
and APSC459.4_html_49488f67.png.  The underscores
appear to work.

In ETH Oberon / Aos 08.06.05
OFSTools.Mount Q320 ZipFS MY:ApSc459Q320.zip ~

System.Directory Q320: ~ reports all 20 files
as expected.

Desktops.OpenDoc Q320:APSC459.4.html ~ opened
the document except that the pngs appeared as
binary texts.

In the Aos GUI the browser did not accept
file:Q320:APSC459.4.html.  It insisted on
http://file:Q320:APSC459.4.html and the document
failed to open.

So the concept works with the advantages of
economy of data and browser responsibility for
presentation.  These questions remain.

1. Will simple revisions allow Oberon / Aos
to open a png?

2. Can the Aos browser open a anything other
than http://... ?  How can the document be
opened in the Aos GUI?

Thanks,    ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/