[Oberon] Trivialising formality considered harmful

August Karlstrom fusionfive at comhem.se
Thu Mar 16 02:33:42 CET 2006

John Drake wrote:

> --- jan verhoeven <jan at verhoeven272.nl> wrote:
>

>>Op Wednesday 15 March 2006 22:24 schreef August
>> > I want to be able to write portable programs and
>>I want to be able to
>> > choose freely between text editors (presently
>>Emacs would be my choice).
>>
>>That rules out the XDS system.
>

> What rules out XDS?  Portable programs, or Emacs
> as a text editor?

Actually, the XDS system comes with a command line compiler (xc) so you
can choose your own editor. But XDS is no serious alternative -- it's a
finalized project, it's closed source and I have already found a bug in
the compiler:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/forum/index.php?topic=633.new;topicseen#new

August