[Oberon] Just Starting With Oberon2

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 03:09:00 CEST 2006

--- Chris Burrows <chris at cfbsoftware.com> wrote:

> ETH is also actively developing 'Zonnon', which, as
> far as I can tell, is a
> superset of Oberon-2. It includes active objects,
> and also resurrects a
> basic form of the Pascal Read and Write statements
> and the 'definition' and
> 'implementation' pairs and enumerated types from
> Modula-2.
>
> http://www.zonnon.ethz.ch/
>
> Chris Burrows
> CFB Software
> http://www.cfbsoftware.com/gpcp

Chris, I'm fairly certain that Zonnon isn't a
superset syntactically of Oberon-1 let alone
Oberon-2.  For instance the Zonnon language
report doesn't include the POINTER keyword.
In one way that's not important because you
can do everything you need without explicitly
having a pointer keyword.  So semantically
it's a superset.  But you can't take any
generic Oberon-1 program and expect it to
compile under Zonnon unchanged.  The original
name of the project was Lighting Oberon.
I believe the name was changed after it
was no longer a proper syntactic superset
of Oberon-1.

Regards,

John M. Drake