[Oberon] Zonnon

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Mon Mar 27 23:02:51 CEST 2006

Al et al,

I have looked briefly at Zonnon and it became obvious to me that I
needed to spend significant time to absorb its essence.
(That comment says nothing about its worth, however)

Now, I have a question for all compiler writers and language extenders.

"What problem are you trying to solve?"

It would be very nice if in every language report right up front was a
section of why the "new" features are being added and what problems
motivated the need for these new features with lots of examples and how
the new features would simplify or solve the problems.

Here is an example where I *think* active objects would help me but I
don't know since the overhead in implementing with active Oberon or
Zonnon might be greater than by some other method.  I am (as a hobby)
designing a rotary engine.  I have graphically depicted it.  But now I
would actually like to put hot gas into the engine and see how it
performs as a function of temperature, pressure, etc.  I *think* one way
to do this is to use aggregated atoms (clusters of atoms which have
similar attributes) to approximate the 10^23 atoms in a real engine.  I
prefer to do that rather than attempting to solve the Navier-Stokes
equation for my geometry.

So, assuming I am using Zonnon I would have to implement an object
(atomic cluster) that bounces off walls and other clusters.  It would be
nice if, somehow, once I implement a single object that, voila, all
objects are implemented.  The only difference between them is their
initial conditions.  But it seems to me that the overseer would need to
be quite complex and outside the domain of each object (who do I pass
the message to that I am 'here' and moving 'there'?).  So, naively, I
suspect that writing the code in Component Pascal or writing it in
Zonnon might be just as difficult.  The only benefit would be the
(hidden) process handling.  But Services.Action in Component Pascal can
emulate this.

Hence my over riding question is:  what do I gain by using, say, Zonnon?

This is a true question and not meant at all to be a put down of Zonnon
or Active Oberon.

Now, here is what I would really like to see in a computer language:
Automatic implementation of mathematical theories that I write using a pen.
I assume this is still many decades in the future.

-Doug Danforth