[Oberon] Zonnon

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 17:36:59 CEST 2006

--- Alan Freed <AlFreed at ohio.net> wrote:

> So, the advantage of Zonnon is that you are able to
> import
> modules written in any other languages, where there
> exists
> compilers that compile down to the CLR.  There are
> about
> a dozen or so such languages right now, and will
> likely be
> many more in the near future - Zonnon amongst them.

Well, considering the fact that there's a Component
Pascal .NET compiler, that doesn't represent much of
an advantage for Zonnon.  When Zonnon's predecessor
"Lightning Oberon" came out, it was the only
.NET Wirthian language.  I guess the question for
me (and others) is what do the language changes
from Lightning Oberon to Zonnon buy you irrespective
of the .NET part?

Another hypothetical question.  From what I gather
Zonnon supports a version of "Active Objects"
similair to Active Oberon.  Is it possible to
write a program that compiles under Zonnon and
BlueBottle?  That would be interesting.

Regards,

John M. Drake