[Oberon] partitioning USB storage

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Wed Mar 29 02:06:32 CEST 2006

Hello Sven,

You asked for reports on experience with USB.

I have a USB storage which was partitioned
into two parts by fdisk in Debian Linux.
The first part was FAT, the second was Aos.

Using what is now the current Aos Partitioner
I tried to delete the second part.  The
partitioner failed and left this message.

Operation UID 0: Device is not partitioned.

Under "Erros" [sic] was reported "1".

"Device is not partitioned" was certainly false.
Files had been stored on and retrieved from the
Aos part.

Saturday, I plugged the stick into a Mac and
opened the disk utility.  Interestingly, each
part had a small lock icon.  I set the flag
labelled "allow edit" or such.  After
repartitioning, the locks were open.

>From this I speculate that the partition table
has provision for locks, that Debian fdisk
closes the locks by default and that the Aos
Partitioner declines to delete a locked
partition.  Apologies for not verifying this
in the USB/ATA specs and the code.

As soon as I have Aos working again, will see
how it recognizes the new partition table.

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/