[Oberon] Bluebottle Crazy-Fresh boot problems

Stauber Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 10 18:10:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

The release of 21.02.2006 introduced a new ATA/ATAPI6 driver (AosATADisks.Mod). On some systems,
this caused Bluebottle to be unable to boot (on others, it now works but didn't work before).
I had a system here that freezed after displaying "AosDiskVolumes: IDEdev#part". For that particular system, using a CD-ROM drive with DMA mode enabled (default for the new ATA driver) caused the freeze.
The newest release (07.04.2006) now does not use DMA transfers for ATAPI devices per default (as the old ATA driver did), which fixed the problem for the system I had here.
The ATADisks driver now offers the following options:

ATAPIForcePIO=1: Force PIO mode for ATAPI devices (default for crazy fresh ISO image)
ATAForcePIO=1 : Force PIO mode for ATA devices

ATATrace=...

0: Trace ATA commands
1: Trace Errors
2: Trace ATAPI commands
3: Trace sense results (ATAPI only)
4: Trace buffer addresses
5: Trace controller/device initialization

Example: ATATrace="01235" enables all traces but buffer addresses

If you have troubles booting the newest Bluebottle release on your system, I would highly appreciate getting some trace outputs.

- Set "TraceMode=1" and "Init=" to enable tracing to the display in text mode
- Set "ATAForcePIO=1" and "ATAPIForcePIO=1" to force the use of PIO mode for all devices
- Set "ATATrace=5" for tracing controller/device initialization (or ATATrace=012345 for maximum details)

Also give "ATADetect=legacy" a try (combined with the settings above).

Regards,
Sven Stauber