AW: [Oberon] Bluebottle: USB Ethernet Adapter support

W B Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Nov 5 20:43:10 MET 2006

Peter Easthope wrote:
> Sven & others,
>> ... The only product I really know it works is the
>> Linksys USB200M Rev. 2. It's quite cheap, by the way (< 30$).
>>

> In case anyone is interested ...
>  London Drugs in western Canada sells the USB200M for 50 $CA.
>
> On the USB200M, the RJ-45 socket and the USB connector are on one part.
> Whereas the Belkin F5D5050 has a short cable between the USB connector
> and the RJ-45.  So there will be less stress on the USB socket with the
> Belkin design.  Mechanically, the Belkin F5D5050 is a better design.
>
> In Linux, the driver for the F5D5050 is called pegasus.
>
> Regards,          ... Peter E.

JFWIW, the chipset the Pegasus drivers work with is *supposedly* not as good as
newer ones, so one has increasingly to look harder to find it.

Of greater importance, IMNSHO, is that the drivers for Pegasus are rock-solid,
whether on Linux, Mac OS X, or XP.

Not much point in worrying about 'bleeding edge' USB speed when the Ethernet
side of the link is a 1 Mbs adsl that is limited to 256 Kbps for outbound.....

:-(

Bill