[Oberon] AW: Bluebottle on USB stick

Stauber Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 10 16:09:55 MET 2006

Hi,

>I'm thinking about giving BB on USB-stick a chance.
>Should an old small 256MB be enough ? Or would you think I should use at
>least 512MB ?
256MB is enough space for Bluebottle.

>On the crazy download site I find the following:
> (for USB boot - currently not working because boot file is too large)
The "(for USB boot - currently not working because boot file is too large)" message is obsolete. The USB boot file contained in the release (AosUSB.Bin) works.

>If it works where are the installation instructions ?
There is a section Boot from USB in AosUsb.Text. Some parts of it are out of date (the current AosUSB.Bin included in the release isn't to big anymore... just use this one).
Basically, installing BB on a USB drive is done exactly the same way as for a harddisk drive, except:
- You have to use the AosUSB.Bin boot file
- The boot volume is typically USB0#1 (first partition on disk)

To get the non-USB device drivers installed (in particular, the ATA/ATAPI disk driver is not contained in the USB boot file), simply call AosPCITools.DetectHardware either in the config string section or in the autostart section in AosConfig.XML. This enumerates the PCI bus(ses) in your system and loads the appropriate device driver modules if available. It also causes USB device drivers being loaded when connecting an USB device, so you don't have to worry about drivers.

Note:
Most USB sticks have suberb random access times and easily outperform harddisks when reading small blocks. Writing small blocks to USB sticks is ,however, extremly slow when not done sequentially. You really should consider enabling write-back caching for a good performance.

Regards,
Sven Stauber

________________________________

I'm thinking about giving BB on USB-stick a chance.
Should an old small 256MB be enough ? Or would you think I should use at
least 512MB ?

On the crazy download site I find the following:
      (for USB boot - currently not working because boot file is too large)

So does that mean USB boot doesn't work ?
If it works where are the installation instructions ?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Edgar Schwarz

--
Edgar.Schwarz at marconi.com, Postf. 1920, D-71509 Backnang,+49 7191 13 3382,
Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler (A.Einstein)