[Oberon] Status quo?

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Thu Feb 15 00:54:49 MET 2007

Yes - there are several groups of developers. As well as the ETH Oberon
community which you have already discovered, ones that I actively monitor
are:

  Gardens Point Component Pascal (GPCP)
  Oberon microsystems BlackBox Component Pascal (BB)
  POW! Oberon for Windows

(Note: Component Pascal is a small superset of Oberon-2 with enhancements
intended to suit commercial component-oriented programming).

These are all relatively small groups and activity is sporadic but
dedicated.

> - is Oberon mainly an academic or a commercial  endeavour or
> is it driven by an Open Source community?

ETH Oberon is primarily academic.

Oberon microsystems is a commercial organisation that originated from ETH.
BlackBox started off as a commercial project (Oberon/F) in the early 90's
and became open source a couple of years ago.

GPCP is an academic project from Queensland University of Technology, which
was originally funded by Microsoft as part of the .NET project

  Home page: http://plas.fit.qut.edu.au/gpcp/

POW! also was originally academic but is now supported by developers:

  Website: http://www.fim.uni-linz.ac.at/pow/Pow.htm

> - if someone wants to start programming in Oberon which
> environment do you suggest? (In respect to support from the community)

You should get enthusiastic assistance from any of the above groups - each
group is relatively small but very knowledgable and passionate about Oberon.
Perhaps if you identify your target platform(s) (e.g. Windows, .NET, Linux,
bare hardware) we can make some more refined suggestions.

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com/gpcp