Re (2): [Oberon] SMTP/SSH tunnel

peasthope at cablelan.net peasthope at cablelan.net
Sun Mar 25 07:48:34 MEST 2007

Bill,

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll try to
fill in some details.

wh> ... need to control the MTA AND it
  be one that can do as it is told.

H can!  There are three machines, W, H and P.

W is my Oberon workstation.

H is my Debian Linux system at home.  It has
exim4, a connection to my home LAN and a
continuous cable connection to P.

P belongs to the ISP and is beyond my control.

When W is on the LAN with H, H relays
messages to P with no problems.  Apparently
W, H and P all use port 25.  SSH is not
involved.

When W is away from the home LAN but can
connect to H through the Internet, messages
should go from W to H through a SSH tunnel.
H should continue to relay messages to P as
mentioned above.  The tunnel should be invoked
by W.

wh> Best to use 587.

So /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template should
contain this line?
tls_on_connect_ports = 587

H should continue to allow a local
connection on port 25 ...

and this might open the tunnel from W to H?

SSH.StartForwarding peter at peasthope.yi.org 25:localhost:587 ~

This will be the data flow?

[W:Oberon MUA:25] ==(SMTP in SSH tunnel)==>
  [587:H:exim:25] ==(SMTP in cable)==> [25:P]

Thanks again for all the information,
             ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/