[Oberon] SYSTEM Module

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Fri Oct 3 02:27:10 MEST 2008

Martin,

I interpreted your posting differently, as "what part of the compiler
source deals with this?"

I have read the source to several ETH compilers, and I am looking at
page 401 (ch 12.7) of Project Oberon.  Module OCT has a main body with
such statements as:
  OpenScope(0);
  EnterProc("LSH", 22);
  EnterTyp("BYTE", Byte, 1, bytetyp);

These procedures build internal data structures as if the source to
module "SYSTEM" existed and was being compiled.

This production of data structures to emulate a state, whether it be a
stack reflection frame prior to context switch, a list of loaded
modules before starting the system, or pre-defined items before
compilation seems to be a common approach to dealing with bootstrap
issues in the ETH projects.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM, PETER EASTHOPE <peasthope at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Martin Bishop wrote:
>> I know that the SYSTEM module is "built-in", but where is it typically
>> defined?
> Hello Martin,
>
> The 10th citation from googling "site:oberon.ethz.ch system"
> is http://www-old.oberon.ethz.ch/SYSTEM.html .
>
> Regards,              ... Peter E.
>
> --
> http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/