[Oberon] simplifying Dialer

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 13 01:37:13 MET 2008

Oberon & Aos users,

As I see, Dialer.Mod was designed to operate a
modem for establishing a PPP connection.
Currently I wonder about generalizing it to also
dial a telephone number.  Along with all other uses,
the Desktop.Tool can be a telephone directory.

This is my idea of generalizing the command
syntax.  If anyone can offer a suggestion or criticism
---thanks.
Extant syntax is Dialer.Dial <config> <device> ~
For example "Dialer.Dial carnot Device0 ~".

First I wonder about the benefit of the device
being a parameter of the command rather than being
in the Oberon.Text.  For example, config.Init might be
Init = { Device0 COM1 19200 }	{* device, port and speed *}.

Does anyone use more than one <device> with one
<config>?

Secondly, the number to dial could be a parameter.
So the syntax could be
or
Dialer.Dial <config> <number> ~ .

The generalized command would allow this to start
a phone call.
Dialer.Dial Nuvo 2501234567 ~
This command to start a PPP session.
Dialer.Dial carnot 6042345678 ~
Of course the access numbers for the Nuvo card
would be in the Nuvo Dial script in Oberon.Text.

Thanks for any thoughts,         ... Peter E.