[Oberon] Oxford Oberon-2 Compiler and local procedures

August Karlstrom fusionfile at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 17:41:58 MET 2008

Chris Burrows wrote:
> I had to read it a couple of times to make sure. The additional occurrence
> of the word 'of' is crucial in that sentence.
>
>  "... with the exception of variables and of those objects that have the
> same name as an object declared locally"
>
> means something very different from how I suspect you may be reading it:
>
>  "... with the exception of variables and those objects that have the same
> name as an object declared locally"

For the scope of variables it boils down to:

"Variables declared in the environment of a procedure are not visible in
the procedure."

For this to make sense the term "environment" must be defined as the
non-strictly local scope of the procedure (since we know that global
variables are indeed visible in a procedure). This is a definition I am
not familiar with.

> Also, to avoid additional misinterpretations it might be better to say "with
> the exception of non-global variables",

...or give a definition of the word "environment."

August