[Oberon] Re. NO on a Compaq DeskPro EN

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Feb 16 06:46:13 MET 2009

Peter wrote:
> Recently I installed a drive in a Compaq
> DeskPro EN, updated the ROM with the ROMPaq
> diskette, partitioned the drive with fdisk,
> installed DOS on the first partition and
> installed NO onto the second partition
> using the Oberon0 diskette.  Nothing in
> the installations was remarkable.
>
> When the system starts NO from the hard
> drive, the keyboard and mouse are not
> operational.  The display is normal.
> The keyboard works properly in DOS.
> Haven't tried A2 yet.
>
> Any ideas to fix this?

AFAIK 'PC" was/is a standard [initiated by IBM & then
'taken over' by M$]. And the initial BIOS [in ROM] had
the basic device drivers, eg. keyboard and VDU.
Then later mouse drivers -- in software rather than
firmware [ROM] -- probably used the serial driver
of the BIOS.

I've got a Compaq old notebook which has some
non-standard features, so I suspect that your ROMPaq
also deviates from the PC-BIOS.

OTOH I doubt that your box would then run standard
DOS.  Did you try NO before you changed to ROMPaq ?

== Chris Glur.