[Oberon] Re. Transfering A2 from one PC's IDE to another ?

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Fri May 29 13:17:13 MEST 2009

Shoot ! My previous post came out mangled via ETH-echo,
and my gmail-self-post-confirm.
But my N-O self-post-confirm was OK.

I'm guessing it's to do with the Oberon. Linux, DOS
line-terminators, which arise when using Linux-ETHoberon
and V4 together.

Many text viewers show DOS & linux line terminators as
equivalent, but later processes treat them differently.
One of the worst problems I've met is a text editor which,
not uncommonly, converts <tab> to <Nspaces>.
So that files which need a tab as part of their syntax
[like makefiles] fail, strangely !!

========= Previous query:--
Finally the A2 CD boots perfectly on my friends newer PC,
where I installed it but could not run it from the IDE,
because, in the short time I couldn't see how to make a booter.

I've always used a fd0 booter for N-O.
And I noticed that A2's Oberon.Text has no dial-up section and
no relevant *ial* files.
I wanted to test a dialup modem.
Does A2 have dialup facilities ?

Perhaps because the CDreader which I [seldom] use is marginal
with my A2-CD, when I revisit my friend's good PC, I want to:
1. set up his booter for A2,
2. copy his A2 installation onto an IDE [partition] of mine,
to hopefully run on my PC.

Is this viable ?

== Chris Glur.

PS. The running A2 may use drivers which don't work when
the 'partition' is copied to a different box.
I've always been able to copy S3, N-O & DOSbased between
boxes.
Can my N-O/LinuxETHoberon at least read the A2 files ?