[Oberon] Do Win-users have multi-file-editors too ?

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Sun Dec 6 10:16:56 MET 2009

Since Peter Easthope pointed out the existence of the acme
[Wirth inspired] editor for Linux, I've eventually opened the
canOworms to try to install it.  I didn't know that these days
you can't just fetch the 'advertised' *.tgz.  Everything is restricted
and controlled by M$ & google !  So any non-main-stream usage
is made painfull & perhaps I'm the last person using ETH-Oberon?

Since the author of the Wirth-concept-editor writes:
> The author is moved almost to tears of frustration using
>  many other editors;
I'm wondering if/how the Win-users manage to
1. write a report,
2. about the captured error messages,
3,4,5 related to the contents of the 3 'Mafefile/s',
6,7...which reference various sources;
  without having an editor which can cutNpaste between
6 or more simultaneously visible text frames.

This thing's [I'm trying the smaller, 'wily' version of acme]
configure/make,/compile..etc. C complex compiling system,
shows errors in a source near:
] extern GC	_getfillgc(Fcode, Bitmap*, unsigned long);
] extern GC	_getcopygc(Fcode, Bitmap*, Bitmap*, int*);
] extern GC	_getgc(Bitmap*, unsigned long, XGCValues *);

Since I don't know C/C++, does this mean:
call 3-arg function _getgc, which is "defined in an external module named
GC"?   Would 'GC' be a system-module ?
How do you see the system-module list ?

Have you seen the manual for the gcc compiler, with a zillion options!

TIA,

== Chris Glur.

PS. sometimes V4 is more convenient than S3 under linux, since it
automatically opens the text-files in Oberon or Linux, depending on
the type. I patched its EditTools.StoreAscii to do Unix instead.
Imagine the drama needed for a C-system to make a little patch.