persistence-across-reboot; was Re: [Oberon] Re. HOW2 'magnify view' for BB?Aos?A2?

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 13 22:11:43 MEST 2010

Chris & all,

From:	Chris Glur <easlab at absamail.co.za>
Date:	Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:21:32 -0700 (MST)
> It's amazing that no one has yet made a utility to restore all the
> settings to allow a PC to be switched off.
> That's a perfect example of Alvin Toffler's 70's "replacing material
> by intelligence". Eg. so that we don't need the PCs to run 24/7.

FWIIW, some of the handheld computers do have
persistence-across-reboot functionality.  Two
which I own are the Sony PSP and the Sony Mylo
COM-2.  The Mylo is mentioned here.
  http://carnot.yi.org/ExampleSystems.html

The iPod Touch and iPhone and the Nokia
N810 and N900 and many other handhelds might
also have this capability.  I haven't checked.

Why is such persistence absent from desktop and
laptop systems?  I can only speculate that it
involves behaviour of third party software
which Apple and MS prefer not to involve.  Yet
there is no such concern with A2 and other
systems where all relevant software is released
through one entity.

I might be completely wrong.  If someone with
more understanding can explain, please do.

Regards,     ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc "http://carnot.yi.org/".