AW: [Oberon] Help! Boot hangs with "OBE"

Stauber Sven Philipp sven.stauber at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 6 16:30:22 MEST 2010

Hi Duke,

Here some information about the Oberon Boot Loader (OBL) output:

O The partition boot record is loaded and its execution started
OB The partition boot record is relocated in memory
OBE The rest of bootstrap loader (from sector with LBA 1 to 3) is loaded
OBER The signature (AA55H as first two bytes in the second sector) was valid, the boot loader was authentified
OBERON Config tableis not empty
OBERON loading... The boot table, containing configuration strings, was read correctly. Execution of machine code located in the second sector began. The kernel is being read. All is well, the desktop should appear soon

This look very much like something with the installation of the boot loader (first 4 sectors on Oberon partition) went wrong.
The boot loader is normally installed when you format a Oberon volume (it can be installed later using the NO command Partitions.UpdateBootLoader).

When installing NO using the installation script, be sure to keep an eye on the output displayed in System.Log. May be the Partitions.Format command complained...

Best,
Sven