Viewer manipulation & etc.; was Re (3): [Oberon] Still can't boot

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Aug 9 03:36:51 MEST 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> From:	Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.ne.>
> Subject:	Re: Re (2): [Oberon] Still can't boot
> > There's no System.Grow for the System.Log viewer.
>
> Moving any viewers below the System.Log downwards,
> or moving them to the left track or closing them
> will expose a larger height of the System.Log.

OK! Have to go and practice this and Chris B.'s tips!

> If you just want to read a few long lines in the
> System.Log you can set the insertion caret and
> insert line breaks with <Enter>.

That was my original purpose in "growing" the System.Log viewer. That
Partitions.UpdateBootFile (or whatever) coughed up an error message
that was too long for the viewer. You've straighten me out on _that_
issue, but it's good to know how to solve these minor navigation
problems.

> You've probably noticed the idea of keeping the
> system in the partition named SYS and keeping your
> data in another partition called Home or HOME or
> something else you prefer.  On my systems it is MY.
> So my files have fully qualified names such as
> MY:blah.jpg and MY:temp and the system tool is
> MY:Peter.Tool.  Quaintly silly but it works.

I haven't really named the partitions yet. In A2, the File Manager
showed the system files being in the AOS: partition. I simply issued a
command to "mount" the FAT partition with the "DOS" handle. So the FQN
would be DOS:/some_dir/some_file.

Do things work the same way in NO?

> There are some notes about ETHNO usage on the
> Webserver, carnot, which I've been working to
> install NetBSD on.  With a little luck it will
> be running again by Xmas.  =8~))

Webserver, carnot???

Thanks for the tips!
--