[Oberon] Re: ETHO & OP2?

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Aug 9 05:53:18 MEST 2010

> > The last year/s I've used mostly
> > ETH Oberon (2.4.3) for linux x86, [leo] because:
>
> Are you referring to the version found here:
>
> ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Unix/x86.Linux/
>
> BTW, what do you mean by "leo"? or do you mean "lno"?

As above leo= ETH Oberon (2.4.3) for linux x86
I used lno, but when it updated it needed a frame buffer
which I couldn't get on that PC.

Leo uses the standard X-windows.
And now I remember how leo crashes: if I switch out of leo
while it's doing eg. Mail or News, and I switch back before it's
finished and ready to write its results to a new Frame.

[snip]

> > BTW V4  [ETHO is S3] also runs on linux and its facilicility which I
> > most appreciate, is that it automatically choses oberon or linux to
> > load-display a file.
>
> Is this yet another version for Linux?

Yes, apparently originated at ETHZ and then taken over by
*.at.*

> > Best not yet write into your last partition/s, so that you can
> > split it into multiple N-O partitions to sort your various N-O topics.
>
> I followed Sven's advise, and created a small FAT partition. I can
> use this partition to implement an NO directory structure, and simply
> "mount" the partition to access it.

I don't know about the new disks, but with the old IDEs, I'd make
2 FATs, the 1st starts below cylinder 1024.
Accessing FAT from N-O is clunky. I only used it for emergencies.
Once N-O is running, 'your operation' is so fast that you start
accumulating, files and the real problem becomes how to classify
them. That's why the multi-partition classification becomes important.

OTOH having too so many partitions like me has dangers:
 once I had a 'break in the chain of links of partritions' at #26,
so all those following became detatched/inaccessible.
And I don't want to repeat the low-level fix-it process ever again.

> BTW, did you make it to _any_ of the FIFA games? ;) I see from your
> TLD that you might have been "real close" to the action!
No.

Just to give you an idea of how N-0 & leo 'work for a user',
I'll list the plan/steps-to <find the URL for leo to paste here>
* expect to find it in the dir from where leo starts,
   so ask linux `whereis oberon`
* swith out of leo into linux
= OK that failed, because it took me to V4's directory
* `cat /root/o` shows me the dir where I can start leo
  from, by just keying "o" when linux starts.
*  which dir has the script 'oberon' which starts leo;
* which in its comments has NOT got a lead to the URL,
but which referes to 2 'key' dirs, which would probably contain
the required info. A difficulty with leo is that you can't directly
copy/paste between linux, without going via a file. I vaguely
think lno could ? So you learn how to save a long path-dir to a
file via 2 key-strokes or to mentally-abreviate/mnemonic paths:
 /home/oberon/*  System.Directory ^
==> /home/oberon/Log   <-- looks a likely file: EditTools.OpenUnix ^
* see:
 ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-bremen.de/home/fld/oberon/x86.Linux/inst.oberon
= done

ETHO is like a mecano-set or lego: you can quickly build anything.

== Chris Glur.