Re (3): [Oberon] OFS aliases not being initialized

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Sat Aug 14 04:50:02 MEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> > Is there a "lint" utility or syntax checker?
>
> No.

That's clear enough! ;)

> In Oberon.Text, make System.Time or DayTime.SetClock the
> last of the InitCommands.  Eg.
> InitCommands = { ... { System.Time } }
> or InitCommands = { ... { DayTime.SetClock "10.4.0.1" } }
> If the result doesn't appear in the System.Log you've narrowed
> the problem.  You can expand this strategy.  In my Oberon.Text,
> System3.Tool is last in FinderTemplates.  If you use Gadgets
> you can check whether that definition worked.

Good Plan! I've used similar techniques (print statements) when
debugging Perl and PHP CGI scripts - for one. I should have thought of
for this situation.

> More important, edit carefully.  Pay close attention to
> matching { and } correctly.

I have to see if the PET matches braces, etc.

> There are many non-obvious details of usage to discover
> or learn.

As usually is the case. I remember when I first learned Unix! Oh
wait... how about in 1980 when I first bought my Taiwanese Apple ][e
clone, enhanced with a Z80 CPU no less. I fiddled around 'till I "got
it"! FidoNet helped..

Thanks for the debug strategy! L8r...

--
Duke