Ethernet card support & file copying; was Re (7): [Oberon] OFS aliases not being initialized

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Aug 16 17:59:55 MEST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> > ... need to back-port the A2's RTL8139 NIC driver to NO.
>
> Check whether the NetNe2000 driver supports that card.
> Several cards had NE2000 emulation as a secondary capability.
> If you have an ISA card look at NetNe2000.Mod ;
> particularly this.
> 	(* for ISA cards set the config string: NE2000X0="port,irq"
> 		- no spaces
> 		- eg. for port 300, interuupt 10: NE2000X0="300H,10"
> 	*)
> Set the values and recompile.  Easily done.

The NIC is built into the MoBo. It's PCI

> A few months back I bought a used 3Com 905
> card from PC Galore here in Vancouver for $10.

Might have to do just that..

> > I've got _it_ sitting in my FAT partition,...
>
> Why FAT rather AosFS?  I use FAT only when unavoidable;
> such as to read a DOS file.

I use the FAT partition as a staging area. AT the moment, I DL stuff
using Linux. In Linux, I mount the FAT partition, and move stuff in
there that I want to use in Oberon. I cannot mount the Oberon
partition directly from Linux - not that I know of anyway.

> > I can't seem to get:
> > System.CopyFiles ....
> > to work - no way; no how!
>
> Oops! We're forgetting the arrow.
> System.CopyFiles "FAT:/whatever" => <NewFilename> ~

I saw the => in the docs - but I never thought that it was part of the
syntax. IMHO, it would have been clearer if the docs had said:

System.Copyfiles <sourceFilename> => <destinationFilename> ~

or something to that effect.

> One command can have multiple copies.
> System.CopyFiles
> "FAT:/whatever" => <NewFilename0>
> "FAT:/blah1" => <NewFilename1>
> "FAT:/blah2" => <NewFilename2>
> ~

Got it!

> You really need a copy of Reiser's manual.  Should
> be under $15 if you pick the right vendor.

I'm getting it... Thanks again.

--
Duke