[Oberon] Re. (3) How is ETHO with USB?

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Sun Aug 22 01:13:14 MEST 2010

Alexander Iljin wrote:
>   Does that technique depend on auto-run feature to be enabled
>   for the  CD-ROMs?

ETHO is good for control phreaks; who don't just trust
these "good experience [feel nice]" apps.
eg. lets do:
 change NameTag of this email to aug2110
*   ET.StoreAscii *
EditTools.OpenAscii & EditTools.StoreUnix  to convert to *nix for:
linux: cat aug2110 | wc
== wc: :104: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
   1318    6866   46450
Ie. 1'318  lines, for a 2 line message.  What did Wirth say?

Oh, I believe N-O has a FileLineCounter.
*anel & ind => Find.Panel  & ount
=> Miscellaneous.CountLines ~	count the lines in a file
-> Miscellaneous.CountLines  *  == Call error: Miscellaneous not found
=> this leo has no Miscellaneous.Obj

Is this "auto-run feature" that which enables the crooks to drop
USB-stiks in the car-park, and when the trusting users plug them
in to their PCs, their confidential files are emailed to the crook?

Joerg wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> Don't know exactly as I don't have such a device. But indeed
> I guess "autorun" should be enabled so the drivers can install
> automatically.
>
> Further investigation revealed that this new USB feature is called
> ZeroCD. This text
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/281335
> proposes an interestingly easy solution: Just "eject" the mounted
> storage device. The Huawei device should then announce itself
> correctly as modem.

Was this an idea only, or was it tested/confirmed ?

> Perhaps worth a try.
I'd be happier if I knew how the algorithms worked at a lower level
level.   https://bugs... probably needs password  - I'll try.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.

PS. the https-page wanted certificates & stuff, but I pasted the
valuable info, and since it dates to 2009, there's probably
much more knowledge published by now.