Re (6): [Oberon] Re: selecting all text in a viewer

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Sep 8 20:50:14 MEST 2010

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> From:	Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net>
> Date:	Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:08:23 -0600 (MDT)
> > Are there _material_ differences between [LNO - from P. Matthias
> > & ETH Oberon (2.4) for Linux x86 - from G. Feldmann]?
>
> Never used either.  Can't comment.
>
> > Feldmann's port doesn't even show any NIC configurations ...
>
> Speculation: could the underlying Linux provide that?
> If so, would configuration be setting a permission on
> a /dev/ file?  Is there a telnet or ftp visible?  What
> happens when telnet is invoked?

When I saw that NetSystem wasn't even included in Feldman's port, I
concluded that either it uses the underlying Linux support (as you
say) or that networking is not supported at all.

There is a telnet command visible, but it terminated with a failed
connection error. Like you say, could be a permissions issue, but
which /dev/ file eludes me. Could be a "group" thing as well. I'll dig
around the ETH archives.

> > I did looked at both the NetNe2000 and RTL8139 code, though - to see
> > if they are at all similarly configured/coded. Not even close!
>
> If it works, the RTL8139 will be in an NE2000 emulation
> mode ... if that exists.  Probably I'm dreaming.

I can't find anything on the Internet that speaks to the RTL NICs
having an NE2000 emulation mode.

> With a PCI bus, a second Ethernet card shouldn't cause much
> difficulty.

I'm thinking of slapping a 3Com NIC in this box, and connecting the
RTL and 3Com NICs to a hub, then out to the router. Can't see why that
wouldn't work - for ETHNO anyway.

--
Duke