[Oberon] Re: Document viewing in ETHNO

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Sep 20 06:07:40 MEST 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> Duke,
>
> > I suppose that there's no reason why ETHNO could
> > not have as good a text-based Web Browser as `lynx' or `w3m'. Or a
> > graphics-based one, using Gadgets.
>
> Desktops.OpenDoc is a prototypical implementation of the
> general concept of a document viewer.  It can display
> graphics.  Pages in Wikipedia illustrate nicely.  Yes,
> the repertoire of formats is limited.  PNG, PS, SVG and
> many others are not implemented but, in some respects,
> OpenDoc is already better than lynx.

It appears that OpenDoc was a _good_ start for something that could
have been great, had hot-shot Oberon programmers stuck around. :)
It's sad really!

> > LNO does not support networking available
> > on Linux, and neither does the "other" NO on Linux.
>
> I have an ETHNO system and Debian Linux system side
> by side with interaction by telnet, ftp, ssh and vnc.
> ETHNO gets the most time by far.

I did not mean to imply that ETHNO could not do networking (given a
supported NIC). Of course it can! I mean that I have not been able to
get LNO to  do networking as well - probably because it too does not
suppport the RTL8139 NIC if it talks directly to it. As such, my
networking experience with ETH products - from A2 to NO has been
dismal. Oh well...
--
Duke