[Oberon] Reiser - Wirth book

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Sun Oct 3 15:02:59 MEST 2010

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Frans-Pieter Vonck wrote:

Hello Frans-Pieter:

> I do not have
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Treutwein Bernhard wrote:
> >
> > Hello Bernhard,
> >
> >> I vaguely remember that there was something ...
> >> but apparently ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/ is down.
> >
> > Yes! I saw it there, but like you say, the A2 ftp server is in a coma
> > - again! ;)
> >
> >> Thanks to Jan Verhoeven who has provided a copy:
> >> http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/Oberon/data/ProgrammingInOberon.tar.gz
> >
> > I have that, thanks. However, the conceptual questions in the
> > exercises are not dealt with in Jan's bundle. I think though, I've
> > changed my mind about _how_ I want to learn Oberon. "Programming in
> > Oberon - Steps Beyond Pascal and Modula" is for CS students and
> > mathematicians - not a hacker and and long-time string manipulator
> > like me. I wish that I could find an Oberon tutorial that resembles
> > the approach taken in the following Icon language tutorial:
> >
> > "Icon Programming for Humanists", at
> > http://unicon.sourceforge.net/ubooks.html
> >  - bottom of page. If you (or anyone else on this list) are aware of
> >  such a document, would you please let me know? Thank...
> > --
>
> You could take a look a the book of Eric Nikitin, Into the realm of
> Oberon.  It is a nice introduction into the formalism of programming
> and still used in the first year class programming at the University
> of Antwerp.

Yes I could do that, but....
I don't want to learn Oberon by being overwhelmed with Algebra,
Calculus, EBNF, and all the other garbage that is too often introduced
into the mystical realm of computer programming. IMO, there's no need
for it _for most levels of application_. Does Nitikin present Oberon
from "Quantum Physics" point of view, or merely in terms of the
requirements of "Astrophysics"? :) Do you see what I mean? That's why
I referenced "Icon Programming for Humanists", to shift away from the
"stars", down to the lowly level of "strings" where most of us
peasants live. :D Thanks for your input.
--
Duke