[Oberon] Memory allocation

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Sun Jan 16 03:28:14 CET 2011

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer.

In the late 80's I used Borland's "Reflex" database engine. I have never
since seen a better database than Reflex. It could store data, analyze
the data and make graphs and tables on the fly.

In Reflex I could make a two-field record, but also a 20 field mxed type
record. Both records of course have different memory footprints and
would need different amounts  of memory to allocate.
Inside a record (the structure of which is unknown at compile time of
course) there could be integers, formulas and strings in a mixed
fashion. So one would need to be able to walk through the fields of the
record in a universal way.

At the moment, the only way to do such things is by assigning a pointer
to byte and 'walking through' the bytes of that record.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Verhoeven
http://www.verhoeven272.nl