[Oberon] NO or A2 vs Plan 9

Brantley Coile brantley at coraid.com
Mon Jan 17 18:32:20 CET 2011

i'll be brief.  if anyone is interested in plan 9, the wikipedia is a great place to start reading about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs

i love both oberon and plan 9 with passion.  however, they are very different systems.  plan 9 is a distributed time sharing system built in the tradition of unix.  in fact, it could be said to be the final version of unix from the unix originators at bell labs.

one of the best descriptions of plan 9 is the abstract of the original plan 9 paper, 'plan 9, a distributed system,' by presotto, pike, thompson and trickey.

> Plan 9 is a computing environment physically distributed across many machines. The distribution itself is transparent to most programs giving both users and administrators wide latitude in configuring the topology of the environment. Two properties make this possible: a per process group name space and uniform access to all resources by representing them as files.

i've used both quite a lot.  the oberon system is the most elegant piece of software i have ever seen.  oberon the language is my personal favorite.  at coraid we use our version of plan 9, called coros, as a software platform for our distributed storage appliances.

the plan 9 editor, acme, was inspired by the oberon system.  rob pike thought he had a powerful windowing and editing system with 8 1/2 and sam, until someone sat him down in front of an oberon system.  he was blown away.  the result was acme, a system interface with oberon ideas imported into the unix bell labs culture.

oberon and plan 9 are two very different systems: oberon is the ultimate in xerox parc style personal systems, and plan 9 is the ultimate 21st century unix.

brantley