[Oberon] Re. Oberon DAQ was: User report on LNO

easlab-absa easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Apr 25 05:37:52 CEST 2011

Frans-Pieter wrote:
> This line in your code made me curious:
> RGtrace.LablVal
>
> I wonder if your oberon system works as a dataserver connected to a
DAQ.

No knowledge of dataservers. CRGtrace.LablVal is just an external
procedure to [IIRC] write a string and a number, like: "LoopCountNow=
7".

> I'm looking for an oberon solution to gather data from a rs232 port,
make
> a simple presentation and send it trough ftp to a website.*

So you want to: [decomposing the total task]
collect rs232 data to a file;
manually manipulate it;
send the edited data via ftp,
where the destination irrelevantly needs to be a 'web site' ?

This seems to be 3 independant steps.
And I want to make 2 related comments [which don't immediately
help solve your problem]:
1. this idea of serially-transforming-data, related to compositional
languages, where each stage is independant is very economical
of labour, and what I'm trying to morph ETHO towards.
2. The stage of "manually manipulate it" is the most important
and expensive part, and that's where ETHO excels.

> In the V24 code examples I saw a nice solution to put a task in the
> oberonloop that reads the uart.

Why do you need to consider low-level aspects, like UARTs, if
V24 can do serial transfer.

> So my idea is to dust an old native oberon machine and install the
> networking tools.
> Did you trie out the ftp server lately?

No.

> The blackbox/windows, the linux-kst, the LNO or the Bluebottle
>solutions seem to overcomplicate things.

The other advantage of the 'compositional' approach is that,
since the stages are mutually independent, you can do some
in ETHO and others in linux ...etc., which is well demonstrated
bellow by Peter's suggestion.

Peter E. wrote:-
> If a Mail Transfer Agent, MTA, is running on your Linux
> system you don't move a text file from ETHO to Linux and
> then send the emessage from a Mail User Agent in Linux.
> Your ETHO system sends the emessage directly to the MTA
> which forwards it to the ISP.  It's just a matter of
> configuring exim or Postfix properly on the Linux system.

I like that idea.  Also, if I learned how to network-configure,
I could do some 'local' testing of eg. send-confirmation,
instead of dialing into my ISP to test each step.

> Exim is still the stock MTA in Debian.  I preferred
> working with Postfix when it was necessary but it was an
> optional installation.

This present installation has got 'sendmail' which is
reputed to be a monster.  I'll try to get some advice
from the 'network USEnetGroup' how to configure it
if I fail after reading the man.

Perhaps I could extent that idea, to have an ETHO-PC
connect to this Win7-HPnetbook, so that I could have
inet wireless-connection, during the week, while I'm
away from from a land line.  The HP-toy has a [looks like
8 pin] socket that I think is called a "J<something>".
If I got a network-card for the PC, could I perhaps interface
with LEO and let the Win7 thing do the inet transactions?
Then does the Win7, become a 'router'?
I wonder if it can do that.
Communicating between 2 PCs seems more naturally done
by USB than a network, but I haven't yet found out how to
do that.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.