[Oberon] ETHO and VPN tunnelling

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 28 21:49:42 CEST 2011

Folk,

This was a little over four years ago.

Date: Thu Mar 22 20:30:33 2007

From: wbh at conducive.org (W B Hacker)
Date: Thu Mar 22 21:38:13 2007
> No public-facing MTA that I am aware of will accept an 'always on' SSL tunnel on
port 25.

The preceding quotations are just a small sample of the discussion.
The tunnel works well now and is described here.
    http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html
=  http://142.103.107.138/NetworksPage.html

A few noteworthy points.
* Cantor and Heaviside are old PCs running ETHNO.
* The tunnel is between Dalton and Joule which run Debian Linux.
* Cantor and Heaviside use the tunnel as if it were any ordinary
  network link.  Neither needs TLS.
* SMTP, POP3 and other protocols work through the tunnel as if it
  were any network link.  The communications are not legible from
  outside the tunnel.
* Cantor is about 50 km from the ISP WAN but communicates as if
  directly attached to the WAN.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.  Certainly would
have been more difficult without the help.  Comments, suggestions and
questions pertaining to the Web page are welcome.

Regards,                 ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca