[Oberon] Degeneration via proprietry software

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Jan 3 07:21:20 CET 2012

>   I have the A2 up and running under the  VMWare (4.0.1 build-528992, Win7
> 64bit home premium).

] After many years out of the Oberon world, I'd like to return (ideally
] through VMWare).
] Can someone on this list give me a hand getting A2 (or Native Oberon) up
] and running under VMWare?

How we have degenerated, from the 1M4 floppy based ETH:N-O
to '64bit home premium:VMWare' based poor imitation.
My Win7 netbook is remarkable hardware, with facilities to
block me from doing anything more usefull than a twittering
kiddie.

The reason for using the original 1M4 based version
is grounded in our evolution as humans.
If we were horses we'd be comfortable standing for hours.
So, mobile devices are only valuable toys.

Other creatures may be evolved to not need to be seated,
with arms resting on an optimally positioned table,
head-up, viewing an optimally positioned view-frame;
with the ability to open multiple frame/files,
so that eg. any reasonably complex task needing reference
[i.e. copy-paste & text-stretch hi-lite/colouring] to:
 the progressLog/Notes & USEnetArticle/S & email/S
& googSearches & ... can be coordinated ALL TOGETHER.

For analysing complex text, the heads-up: no need to
look away from the viewer facility seems never to have been
repeated.

== Chris Glur.

PS.