[Oberon] LNO revive.

Chris Glur easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Jan 10 07:53:23 CET 2012

Someone mentioned using V4 on some mimimal hardware.
Can V4 run on these new Win7 based netbooks?
Or is there something that's now replaced Win7?
It's increasingly difficult to by-pass the Win? OS.
I couldn't get DOSbased Oberon to run because of <display incompatibility>.
Even old DOS:TurboPascal failed because of a known bug which causes
problems in newer/faster hardware.
BlackBox/ComponentPascal was a real dissapointment for me.

Firstly, instead of using meaningless marketing terms, like 'good
experience', we need to state WHY we want the ETHO/S3/V4 interface:
* to be able to easily have 6 or more text frames available together,
* to be able to easily cutNpaste between text frames,
* to be able to easily color any text-stretches on any text frames,
* to have <live commands> embedded in any text,
* to be able to work: heads-up without needing to look down for
  special keys....

These minature CF are amazing, but I don't know how reliable
they are for long term running of code, with the need to
continually read/write.  Keeping photos, where a false bit
wouldn't be noticed is easy; or do the photos have CRC.

Well the CF seems fine so far. What about various *nix file
systems which journal/update the disk every few seconds:
effect on the limited write-cyle life of solid-state menory?

Since I failed to get the good ETHO/S3/V4 interface
on the netbook via Win?DOS, I tried linux via a CF or
USBstik.  LinuxETHOberon [LEO] is very good, and I use it
all the time - like now.  But it seems a bit of an overkill
for a portable/netbook. And X is known as a monster.

Since LNO runs with a framebuffer also, if X is missing,
you can get the good ETHO-interface, reasonably
with a CF or USBstik.

LEO was able to read/write up to Win98 files,
but linux seems unable to write Win7 files,
so you need to copy them [the FAT files] to linux
and LNO can manipulate them there.

This complexity can be handled convenietly by LNO,
like N-O handled the multiple partitions by simply:--
[I'm copying this manually from the netbook to PC:LEO,
so could make a mistake]
ET.Do Cat
ET.Do Dog
..
ET.Do Cow

where 'Cow' is eg.:------
OFSTools.Mount Cow LinuxFS /mnt/CF3/cow
System.Directory Cow:*\d

! OFSTools.UnMount Cow
-----------

So a single klux on <ET.Do Cow> mounts and shows all the
files in that work-area and makes the later unMounting available
via a single klux too.
Of course colouring the commands appropriately, helps too.

It's a pity that ETHO/LNO doesn't, like V4 does, automatically
open FAT [or *nux] files 'as such' instead of as AosFiles.
Has anybody got a code patch to check the <file type> before
deciding to use *.Open, *.OpenUnix or *.OpenAscii ?
Is LNO open sourced?

It's more than twice the effort to have to select manually.

LNO is your link between your N-O partitions and the power
of *nix and LEO. So you could build your own live-books
[evolved over time] from existing *.pdf files, by capturing the
images via <Linux screen capture to eg. *pgn> and editing/
improving the text, to get a superior product like our
ETHO: Chapter5.Text ,instead of the bloated garbage
available from the industry leaders.

I've been informed that a framebuffer can't be zoomed to
occupy more than the display size. Why would it not be able
to zoom as X can?

== Chris Glur.