[Oberon] Viability of A2 & ARM?

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:17:17 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Chris Glur <easlab at absamail.co.za> wrote:
> So if A2 can achieve <what is required> significantly more
> economically, why was it overlooked in the recent BIG mobile
> device OS repositioning?  Eg. various options were considered
> by google, before deciding on <linux based android>.

One factor hard to overlook there is Google likes to bootstrap, right?
Bootstrap the browser on top of the OS and change the programming and
interaction model. But also:

http://golang.org/

(not the only example, but the key one here)

If you can leverage static types, garbage collection, etc., and let
someone else bang their heads against the continual driver support
wall, you can likely get parallel synergies going. Coming full circle,
some percentage of the Oberon effort is in supporting the improvement
of the environment, and some percentage is in supporting the ongoing
need to host that environment on modern hardware. If there were a
cleaner way to divest the two problems in a way that would still keep
the system coherent by a single person, and preferably leverage the
skills and knowledgebase of people outside the community, we would
probably see more frequent progress on both fronts.

-Jack