[Oberon] Oberon0 boot diskette

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Thu Jun 14 19:56:09 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 00:13:23 Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net
wrote:
> I have installed the Oracle VM Virtualbox environment on one of my
> machines.  I attached the file oberon0.dsk that I have had for some
> many years, and it booted very quickly and gave the familiar
> behavior.
>
> I now have some questions:
>
> 1.  Has Oberon0 been updated so that it will add a partition to a new
> (empty) hard disk.  The version that I have traps if there is not a
> pre-existing partition.

AFAIK Oberon0 is intended to run off a floppy disk (or something that
pretends to be a floppy). Only when moving towards a disk based Oberon
system the HDD comes into play. As far as I remember the Oberon
installer does the formatting and such.

These are my notes on Native Oberon:

	http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/Oberon/nat0.html

> 2.  Who would I correspond with to have permission and tidy paperwork
> if I want to distribute this on USB sticks as part of a disk repair
> toolkit.

The Grand Master himself of course. He might be helpful as well with the
(re)partitioning scheme you're after. Unlike Mike Spivey, Prof Wirth is
a really nice guy. For a box of chocolate (Herschey?) he will do just
about anything.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Verhoeven