[Oberon] Can ETHO be ported to ARM?

Michal Wallace michal.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 12:00:57 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Peter Matthias <PeterMatthias at web.de> wrote:

> Personally I would like to see an Oberon like system on the Raspberry Pi. I
> will check for a compiler. However, if I do it, it would be a fun project
> likely with some incompatibilities to current Oberon ( files behave like in
> Linux, Text based on UTF-8 or html, typesafe Fonts) and simpler implementation
> (no static linking). The real thing would be to have graphics output to the
> web browser.

Hi Peter,

Some of these ideas overlap with my own interest in Oberon.
Especially the "output to web browser" part. :)

My current interest involves porting oberon to a simple
virtual machine that is itself ultra-portable :

   http://retroforth.org/docs/The_Ngaro_Virtual_Machine.html

As it happens, ngaro already runs on arm, avr ( arduino ), and
pic32, and has implementations in somewhere around ten or
twelve different languages. ( Not oberon, yet, but I have just
finished up a port to freepascal. ) Ngaro also runs in a
browser, so maybe it can provide a stepping stone to other,
native implementations. ( It has some limitations, like lack of
floating point support, for example... But that's what makes it
so easy to port... )

I'm curious what you mean by typesafe fonts. :)

-Michal