[Oberon] RISC / Can ETHO be ported to ARM?

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sat Nov 3 10:06:24 CET 2012

Paul

> This is not a problem with the Raspberry Pi, per se: all USB libraries are
> huge and complicated.

Yes. But I would call USB "customer-friendly", that's why it is so widely spread. For the customer it's rather plug and play. Obviously it's the programmer of the USB framework who has to pay for it.

USB as such is in contradiction to Witrth's intention: He wants to keep his programming languages and nowadays the HW logic as simple and clean as possible to be presentable to students to show the underlying principles.

I just remember a discussion in this forum where it was brought up, why not to include constants for RECORD/ARRAY types in Modula-2/Oberon. This would be programmer-friendly. But strictly speaking, it's not needed and hence not present in Wirth's languages.
Wirth himself defended why he included string constants in all his languages as it is (from a pure clarity point of view) not needed in a programming language. String constants are programmer-friendly. But Wirth's main arguments were: string constants make the compiler code more readable and it's not too difficult to generate code for them.

Jörg