[Oberon] Re (2): RISC / Can ETHO be ported to ARM?

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Fri Nov 2 16:20:40 CET 2012

In about 2000, I used F-RAM on a motorola 68HC11 evaluation board.  I used
the 68HC11 Oberon compiler.  This system is too small to have a full Oberon
system on it, but I wrote some bare silicon modules to do serial I/O and
some data acquisition and control.

One of the problems that I had was the stack location assumed by the
compiler.  I did have the sources, but I also had a time deadline.  I don't
remember my exact solution today, but it did work.

Today my interests would likely be to the MIPS chip being sold my the
people who make the PIC processors.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM, <peasthope at shaw.ca> wrote:

> From:   Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
> Date:   Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:29:15 +0000
> > BTW anyone who thinks that 1MB is not a lot of memory probably doesn't
> > belong on this list ;-)  Also you might upset many embedded programmers,
> > who still *dream* of having 1MB RAM! :)
>
> Yes!
> ... So is there any reason not to use F-RAM?
> http://www.ramtron.com/products/nonvolatile-memory/parallel.aspx
> As discussed some months back, almost instantaneous startup and
> absence of the ongoing need for Store are obvious benefits.
>
> Persistent memory is the last ingredient in Wirth's vision of
> escape from the old hegemony of the filesystem.  Read or edit a
> text in persistent memory with no "file" involved; aside from
> legacy data access of course.
>
> That's how a book works(*).  You pick up a book, open it and read.
> No need to wait for "boot up".  When finished with the current
> reading, just close the book with no need for Store.  A computer
> should be the same with the additional capabilities of editing
> and calculating.
>
> Regards,             ... Peter E.
>
> * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
>
> --
> 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
> Tel +13606390202  Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/
> "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
211 E. 5th St.