[Oberon] Oberon on ARM/Pi

Oleg N. Cher allot at bk.ru
Sun Nov 4 20:33:35 CET 2012

Michal Wallace wrote:

>   http://www.uni-vologda.ac.ru/JOB/
>
> The first one appears to be commercial and possibly still in
> development. The second appears to be open source, but I couldn't
> figure out what license it has...

It's freeware. Russians/Ukrainians/Belorussians are not so oriented to
strong obligatory licensing, as Europe/USA.

But JOB implements not all of the features even of Oberon-2 standard.
Better to use Gardens Point Component Pascal for JVM. It's perfect.

http://gpcp.codeplex.com
http://plas.fit.qut.edu.au/gpcp

Of course, it's freeware and open source.

Also see to side of Ofront (Oberon-2 to C translator) by Prof. Josef
Templ. Now it's available under BSD license. It's very qualitative product.

http://www.software-templ.com/shareware.html

I've used it even for writing small games for 8 bit CPU Zilog Z80.

http://zx.oberon2.ru/dash.htm
http://zx.oberon2.ru/durak.htm

With help of Ofront we can generate native ARM code with industrial
quality (through C compilers, for example, GCC).

Oberon System V4 (Kepler version, Linz, Austria) translated by Ofront
and running on tablet PC Nokia N810 - http://norayr.arnet.am/weblog/?p=668

There is one more way. Needed to connect Oberon-2 (Component Pascal)
(front-end) and LLVM (as back-end). So will be targets x86-64, ARM.

It must not be too complicated.

Oleg N. Cher,
VEDAsoft Oberon Club
http://zx.oberon2.ru