[Oberon] A4 ? was: Re (2): Oberon Digest, Vol 104, Issue 2

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:29:41 CET 2012

>>And can A4 do so?

?> What is A4?
That's the 'get up to date' version of AOS!
----------
D> The web browser was painfully slow, etc etc

F>You are right about the web-server. It is neither particularly fast, nor
F>is it maintained. I never use it.

AFAIK a 'browser' is just a http-fetcher & a parser/renderer.
OTOH I could never get registered/logged-in with the AOS 'server'.
I'm confused; why should the BROWSER be slow.
IMO adults/experienced-users shouldn't be using graphical-browsers.
Can A2's browser do https, like for gmail?
Text only is good, like Linux:links.

F> you should not forget that A2, or AOS as it was called previously, was a
F> research OS in the first place. A2, running on Active Oberon, features
F> multi-threaded (multi-core / multi-processor) applications.  The kernel
F> is as small as can be for a multi-core environment. No heavyweight
F> processes, only fast context switches etc.

Yes, I see AOS as the equivalent to the linux-kernel in the linux/GNU
combination.  Where small, ... multi-core environment is an issue, I
have no doubt that it's as excellent as other Wirth influenced products.
We, however operate much closer to the 'human interface'.

As an example the simple 'task-loop' of ETHO was no problem,
but the fact that the default-font failed to distinguish between
"-" & "_" [WOA! it's still broken on LEO] means that EVERY
new user, and old ones too, had failures for manually entered URLs.

== Chris Glur.