[Oberon] A4 ? was: Re (2): Oberon Digest, Vol 104, Issue 2

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Dec 10 23:39:24 CET 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:29:26 -0800
"Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth at greenwoodfarm.com> wrote:

> I actually agree with Chris on his point.
> In 1972 all the email that I received was directed to me and none
> of it was spam (I was at Stanford and we were one of the first 4
> nodes on the ARPA network).  Information we extracted was text
> based and was of high quality.  In those years I asked myself why
> wasn't business getting on the band wagon and using the internet?
> Well it wasn't until the WWW occur circa 1992 that business
> finally woke up to the potential.  But God, the clutter that they
> have created! I now spend all of my time IGNORING advertising.
> That is a horrible waste of computer and human time.

Of course you know that "electronic mail" has nothing to do with
the "Web"!! uucp / fidonet / and plain old "email" are old friends
to me. Full-featured, text-based MUAs are still available on decent
platforms - like the *nix, e.g.

Also, back then folks didn't top-post so there was zero graphics
garbage appended to the email, AND the trimmed conversations flowed
logically. Those were the good-old days, no? :)

--
Duke