[Oberon] Help in using an Oberon systems.

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Wed Dec 12 19:53:17 CET 2012

On Wednesday 12 December 2012 17:36:53 Srinivas Nayak wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am a Linux user. I am new to Oberon systems.
> I tried running one Oberon system in Virtual Box, though slow, it
> started. Now the big question is, I am hopeless in the UI.

There 9s excellent tutorial inside LNO (Linux Native Oberon) but LNO
only runs on older Linux like Slackware 11.x
If you install it. there is online tutorial inside, explaining ALL you
need to know.
See also http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/Oberon/index.html

> I found from net that, there used to be a book detailing user manual.
> Now it is not available. How to know how to use this OS (at least for
> me like novice)?

On the above page are a lot of pdf files.

> Do any body have a e copy of that material, or any sources of similar
> user manual saying how to use this OS?

This OS is hard to use for modern time users....

> I am not able to find the root directory or file system.

There IS only root directory. Subdirectories are not part of the OS.
Only one flat file system.

> How do we run applications?

By clicking the name with the mouse (middle button?) The name can be
anywhere on screen.

> Or shall it be better to start with an Oberon system that has simpler
> interface?

Try Mike Spivey's obc compiler.

	http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/obc/index.html

--