[Oberon] On Commands in Oberon.

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Dec 23 19:03:53 CET 2012

Please tell us which Oberon version you are running.   Some of the versions
have a file named Hello.Mod that is very useful for answering exactly these
questions.

If I know the version you are running, I will give a custom answer to that
system.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Srinivas Nayak
<sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have seen and understood how middle mouse button works on a command in
> Oberon.
> I have seen commands of the form
>
> Module.Procedure parameter1 parameter2 ~
>
> However, recently I came across some new verities of input parameters. Like
> Module.Procedure *
> Module.Procedure ^ ~
>
> Also while reading
>
> Programming in Oberon
> A derivative of Programming in Modula-2 (1982)
> Niklaus Wirth
> - a 65 page document briefing the programming in Oberon -
>
> I found that,
>

>     22.4 Standard Input and Output
>
>     The following conventions have established themselves for the
>     designation of input texts. Assume that the command
>     (procedure) name is followed by
>     - an identifier (possibly qualified). Then this is the name of the
>     input text (input file),
>     - an asterisk (*). Then the marked viewer (window) contains the
>     input text,
>     - an @ symbol. Then the most recent text selection is the beginning
>     of the input text,
>     - an arrow (^). Then the most recent selection denotes the file name
>     of the input text.
>

> What is the meaning of this, can you please help me understanding this?
> How shall we be able to activate commands of the form,
>
> Module.Procedure *
> Module.Procedure ^ ~
> Module.Procedure @
> etc.