[Oberon] Re (2): Amiga OS and Oberon

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 06:22:07 CET 2013

> From: eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:01:46 +0200
> > ... where the ISP's can no longer handle ETHO-based email and I'm forced
> > to use inefficient gmail.
>
> A Linux router can connect with almost any protocol an ISP
> will use.  The router will also connect to Oberon.  Problem
> solved.  Really the solution is more general.  It offers
> many services in addition to email connectivity.

Yes, I would expect *nix to have the biggest repetoire.
But, obviously, email handling via http is time/effort
wasting, compared to pop/smtp, which were DESIGNED
to be efficient for email.

When we started ETHO in the 90's ISPs didn't use
sender authenticate [for SMTP]. So an outsider
could use your ISP's SMTP to send on your behalf.

Later when my ISP1 required TxAutenticate,
I modified TextMail.* to include TxAuthenticate,
and wrote the Id, Password into the code,
so that I could send or fetch with one click.

And I made 2 different copies for my 2 ISPs,
which copies were in 2 different directories,
with matching Oberon.Text.
This is an example of the convenience that LEO offers.

In the old-days you could telnet into your ISP's
SMTP server from anywhere on the globe.
But now you may not. If you are a genuine client
of the ISP, you will be dialing in. Which is allowed.
Else you must use the clunky http interface.
I can't dial in because I now have only a wireless
phone - from ISP2.

My ISP2 has also gone like a golliwog circus;
even for http-based email.

Lastweek a strange [unclear line] claiming to be from
the ISP2: Neotel; phoned to <confirm that I has emailed
about problems with THEIR SMTP> when I phoned Neotel
to confirm if the suspicious caller's number originated
from Neotel, the <recorded message/music just went
on and on>.

You've seen films about the conditions in Haitti and
Somalia?  These clowns, here, will also soon be asking
you for money to feed them.

== Chris Glur.

PS. I don't know if 'my' gmail servers are 'here' or
10'000 km away in California; but with ETHO, we could
compose N emails and send each off with a single clik,
at 5 sec intervals; and fetch random mails listed in
TextMail.Directory at 5 sec intervals.

http:gmail wants a 60 sec. multistep dance for each
SINGLE fetch or send. And that's using links/lynx.

Of course google wants you to use a full featured
browser, so they can dazzle you while occupying your
attention to tell you again that <life is better with Coke>.