[Oberon] WITH removal in Oberon-07

Frans-Pieter Vonck fp at vonck.nl
Sun Feb 24 20:32:35 CET 2013

> I don't know what Verilog code you are referring to here.
It is the code at the and of Compiler Construction version 2011
"Appendix D. Der RISC-Prozessor in Verilog"

> I don't see why not, but most small ARM boards don't have a video
> framebuffer.  The Raspberry Pi does, but it's a complicated board, as I've
> said before.
Yes I've followed that discussion. A few years ago I went to a
presentation of Andy Tanenbaum about Minix3. He asked the audience to help
him with porting Minix to ARM. He even had a Google Scholarship for it.
Also for Minix there is still no USB library available.
Andy demonstrated us how a not responding proces had to be handled. It can
be  paraphrased as "Fifteen milisecs to comply, otherwise, shoot the....."
Pointing an index finger to the crowd.
How would you describe the way an oberon loop handles a endless loop in a
task?

For microcontrollers usb harddrives, usb mouse and usb keyboards are not
really necessary. Possibly old ps/2 mouse and keyboard can be used easily.
However connect to the microcontroller from a native Oberon System seems
thrilling enough to me.

> The Oberon inner core (Kernel, FileDir, Files, Modules) and
> even the text system do not actually require a framebuffer display, so you
> could build a hybrid system.
There are some vga hacks around for micro controllers, but the fonts are
rather coarse. It an be a nice demo project to scale up from the LCD or
the good old Leds. Requires some solid programming skills to setup the PWM
for the syncing, though.

> Using a simple FPGA board allows us to avoid the vast and irrelevant
> complexity inherent with most ARM System-on-Chip (SoC) systems
Just curiuos, did you program a graphics module (vga) in your FPGA board?

Greets,
F.P.